October 31st, 2014
UPDATE: A newer version of Cycle Vancouver now lives at vancouver.bikerouteplanner.com
CycleVancouver, Metro Vancouver’s cycling trip planner, has been taken offline because it is no longer receiving funding to be maintained and hosted.
Other useful resources that may be helpful in planning your route are:
- Open Street Maps – now has directions, including cycling directions!
- Google Maps – has an option to get cycling directions
- Open Cycle Map – view where cycle routes are on a web map. (No directions)
- The City of Vancouver map of cycle routes
- Translink’s page with cycling maps
- CycleVancouver’s Slope Reference Map
- CycleVancouver’s Elevation Reference Map
- CycleVancouver’s Air Pollution Reference Map
There was interest in measuring if people feel that Cycle Vancouver fills a need that these other resources don’t. We held a poll and the results were a conclusive yes.
Volunteer work was initiated to bring the tool back online, however our volunteer also has a full time job so work is slow going.
The original Cycle Vancouver code has been posted to GitHub for reference.